RE: [Groff] Questions re: Embedding encapsulated PostScript page

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] Questions re: Embedding encapsulated PostScript page
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 10:09:29 -0000 (GMT)

On 04-Mar-06 Clarke Echols wrote:
> I have several questions that I'd like to understand the answers
> to, and I'm raising them here because others might be able to
> benefit.
>
> I have been attempting to follow Ted Harding's explanation on how
> to embed encapsulated PostScript into a groff page.  After some
> false starts and failed attempts, I finally discovered the grops(1)
> man page so his explanations started making a lot more sense,
> especially after seeing the explanation of .PSPIC, etc.
> [...]

Hi Clarke, and all,

a PDF file which explains how \X' ps: import ... ' (which is
the underlying engine in .PSPIC too) places the graphic defined
in an EPS file on the page.

Note that "EPS file coordinates" denotes the coordinate
values occurring in the PostScript in the file. Also, the
use of a the minus sign in the formulae for the Y-coordinates
is a consequence of the fact that groff page coordinates
are positive downwards (as in "\v' ... '"), i.e. the formulae
give groff page coordinates, not "human" ones!

Hoping that this helps to clarify some of the issues that
Clarke is trying to get hold of (I originally wrote this
myself after spending quite some time sussing it out, so
that I had a handy reference for myself!)

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861