grub-devel

Re: Pre-alpha scripting engine

From: Yoshinori K. Okuji
Subject: Re: Pre-alpha scripting engine
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:04:41 +0100

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 14:01, Marco Gerards wrote:
> But as I said before, the most important thing that needs to be done
> is that Okuji agrees with the syntax.

Honestly speaking, I don't know.

I also prefer that it looks more like BASH, but shell scripting is
sometimes very ugly (e.g. "i = `expr $i + 1`"). So I don't know what
the best is.

But I bet that these should be right:

- GRUB should not distinguish command execution from scripting.

- The language must not enforce users to learn really new things.

- The language should be flexible enough to do many things without
writing modules in C.

The first item is a must for GRUB, because the strongest advantage in
GRUB is that you can do whatever at run time. Once we accept that
scripting can do more than from the command line, we would lose
complete control of booting process.

I think the first one suggests that we should not have multiple
languages. There is a way to have multiple ones without breaking that
policy (i.e. embedding a language in another language), but this sounds
overkill to me.

So a scripting language should fit into the semantics of the
command-line interface. For example, Lisp is not acceptable, because it
is too difficult to use as a shell. I don't know if PHP-like syntax
fulfills this requirement, but I don't like it very much, because PHP
is really similar to Perl (which is known as a maker of write-only
code).

I'd like to hear others' opinions. I have been thinking this issue for
some years, but I still don't know a good answer.

Okuji