grub-devel

Re: mkfs command in grub

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: mkfs command in grub
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:44:16 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> Can someone please comment if adding filesystem creation support to
> grub is reasonable.
>
> Please see the rationale at
> http://www.geocities.com/technologypages/grub-mkfs.txt
>
> Will the developers consider adding this feature? It is rather easy to
> implement as far as I can see -- only glue for external filesystem
> creation code needs to be added.

Personally I do not like glue code at all.  And creating the
filesystems like fat and swap is quite trivial, I think.

> Although the swap sharing use case discussed in the rationale is
> trivial, it is a common problem that may bring many multi-OS users
> over to GRUB 2 and create positive "media coverage" (if that feature
> will be added).

Right...

I think it is easy to implement this feature, and agree it might be
useful in the cases you described.  I wonder how the other developers
think about including such feature.

--
Marco