grub-devel

Re: [RFC] New menu design based on MVC

From: Isaac Dupree
Subject: Re: [RFC] New menu design based on MVC
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:34:29 -0400

Bean wrote:
Implement the menu viewer in lua. Colin's patch already make extensive
use of lua, so perhaps we can just standardize the interface a little
bit, and make it easier to write components using either c or lua.

and (out of order,)

Use xml to store data. With Colin's graphic menu path, we are already
introducing a new file format - the theme file. But the current
representation is a little awkward, for example, to write a label, it
uses:

+vbox{ +label{ text="Hello" } +label{ text="World" } }

I think it would be more natural to write it like this:

<vbox>
  <label text="Hello" />
  <label text="World" />
</vox>

XML is a bit complicated to parse, unfortunately, compared to the ideal hierarchical data format.(of-course we might choose it despite that)

If graphical menu is going to rely on Lua, why not write the data in Lua too? It's designed for this sort of usage IIRC (use its table syntaxes), though I don't recall it well enough to give a good example

-Isaac