grub-devel

Re: sparc64 network autoconfiguration

From: Stanislav Kholmanskikh
Subject: Re: sparc64 network autoconfiguration
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 12:49:50 +0300

Hi!

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Vladimir 'phcoder' Serbinenko
<address@hidden> wrote:

Le ven. 18 mars 2016 08:30, Andrei Borzenkov <address@hidden> a écrit :

Documentation says

On sparc64 GRUB is unable to determine which server it was booted from.

Could someone clarify what it means here? sparc64 is ieee1275 that
supports auto configuration for network boot - at least, it has code
to do it. So far the only platform where it is not possible seems to
be uboot (which is also missing from Platform limitations section).

AFAIR sparc 64 doesn't provide fields code for ieee1275 depends on. Moreover
sparc64 doesn't support booting via dhcp and works thorough rarp instead

Strictly speaking they boot via bootparams protocol, RARP is used for
initial IP auto-configuration. Sun/Oracle servers support DHCP boot
for quite some time; actually it is mandatory for Solaris 11 AI
(automated installer). I am not sure whether they export this
information in OBP though.

Someone from Oracle listening here?

I can't say for Oracle HW in general, but on T4, T5, T7 machines booting via DHCP/TFTP is supported, for example via 'boot net:dhcp'.

In our group we do load grub2 via dhcp/tftp. There were some issues, but in general this scheme works fine. I hope patches for these issues will be sent here soon.

Thanks.