Re: api differences between 1.4 and 1.6

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: api differences between 1.4 and 1.6
Date: 11 Mar 2002 20:33:52 +0000

    Marius> It is OK, but it is not that important.  We should concentrate all
    Marius> significant improvements into the 1.7 series and aim for a quick 1.8
    Marius> release instead of putting a lot of work into both 1.6 and 1.7.

I basically agree.  Especially that we should aim for a much shorter
release cycle to 1.8.  But I have two practical worries:

- The divergence between the 1.6 and 1.8 documentation is becoming
  difficult to keep track of.  Structurally, 1.8 is quite different,
  yet I don't want to lose any fixes that have gone into 1.6.

- In order to be certain that we're not scuppering people in 1.8, I
  think we should aim to achieve a similar completeness of
  documentation in both 1.8 and the later 1.6.x.

As a purely pragmatic approach, therefore, I'd like to progressively
reduce the differences between 1.6.x and 1.8 documentation by
backporting the changes that are equally applicable to 1.6.x.  A side
effect of this will be that the 1.6.x documentation becomes more
complete, even though my efforts will be (as they have been for some
time) focussed on 1.8.

        Neil