Re: scm_make_gsubr question

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: scm_make_gsubr question
Date: 19 Jan 2003 23:55:23 +0000

    William> Is there a way to specify, at the time you call
    William> scm_make_gsubr, a user data parameter which is passed to
    William> the corresponding C function? [...]

This has just been discussed on guile-user - please see the archives
there.  (Summary: (i) no (ii) you could use an applicable smob (iii)
description of a roundabout way of achieving the same thing.)

    William> If not, I would like to submit a patch...

Please do so; however, here is my view of why we don't already have
this (and which may amount to a good reason not to add it - I don't
know).

- The corresponding operation on the Scheme level is achieved much
  more elegantly by closure.

- There are ways of achieving this on the C level, even if they are a
  little indirect.  (See thread in guile-user.)

- The most sensible approach IMO for a Guile-based application is to
  do the minimum possible in C for the maximum benefit in Scheme.

Best regards,
        Neil