Re: GUILE_MAX_HEAP_SIZE

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: GUILE_MAX_HEAP_SIZE
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 11:18:17 -0300

Ludovic Courtès escreveu:
> Han-Wen,
>
> This patch:
>
>   82ae1b8eb3413e6be6bd2aa032986fc7782e85ac
>   Garbage collection cleanup.
>
>   Makefile.am        |    8
>   gc-card.c          |  109 ++++++----
>   gc-freelist.c      |  150 +++++++-------
>   gc-malloc.c        |   24 +-
>   gc-mark.c          |    8
>   gc-segment-table.c |  293 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>   gc-segment.c       |  545
> ++++++++++++-----------------------------------------
>   gc.c               |  261 ++++++++++---------------
>   gc.h               |    2
>   inline.h           |   10
>   private-gc.h       |   92 +++-----
>   11 files changed, 733 insertions(+), 769 deletions(-)
>
> is kind of hard to review in a glimpse.  Does it just randomly "clean
> things up" (whatever that means---it does not follow the GCS, for

GCS?

> instance), or does it fix anything?  It's hard to tell.  Can you
> reproduce the heap usage graphs referred earlier in this thread?  Do

No, the memory usage is more stable now.

> you have any evidence of improved behavior?  Is it this patch that
> triggers the assertion failure you referred to in your first message?
> Which assertion is it that fails?

This is fixed now.  See my message about our test-suite being broken
by LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> I'm in favor or reverting it, possibly by changing the tip of the
> affected branches so that the history remains clearer (sigh...).
>
> When that is done, can you eventually resubmit it as a series of small
> patches (like the ones you pushed), making it easier to identify the
> fix, if there is one?

I had a look at pulling this change apart, but it is tricky since
many of the changes are interrelated.

I spent more than a day writing and debugging this code - approximately
16 hours over the weekend.  Please keep in mind that I write serious
software for a living during my 40 hour work week, and don't much time
for GUILE to spare.

If you think you need to roll back this change, please revoke my
commit privilege and sort things out yourself.  The garbage collector
isn't that complicated after all.