Re: Locks and threads

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Locks and threads
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 23:53:23 +0000

Linas Vepstas <address@hidden> writes:

> Err, sort of, yes, unless I misunderstand.  Guile 1.8 makes
> a certain basic assumption that is splattered throughout
> the code; it rather intentionally re-orders the order in which
> one of the locks is taken.  If I remember correctly, its the
> "in guile mode" lock.  So if you just go looking for locks
> that are released out-of-order, you'll find lots of these.

Yes, I think I understand this now (having seen it myself).  The
pattern is

- thread holding its heap_mutex - which is the normal state in guile
  mode

- thread calls scm_i_scm_pthread_mutex_lock to lock some other mutex

- scm_i_scm_pthread_mutex_lock:

  - unlocks the heap_mutex

  - locks the other mutex

  - locks the heap mutex again.

That in itself doesn't actually cause an ordering problem, but then
the thread releases the other mutex without releasing the heap mutex
first - which is perceived (by helgrind at least) as a problem.

(Is something like this actually _ever_ a problem?  If locks are
always _acquired_ in the right order, how can the order of _releasing_
ever cause a problem?)

The async_mutex handling (that I've posted a patch for) is one example
of this.

> At the time, I had decided that
> 1) it would be a lot of work to get these in order, and the
> patch would likely be rejected, and
> 2) the reordering is essentially harmless (since its
> consistently done).
> 3) there might have even been a performance hit (I don't
> remember) by trying to get these into order.

The other thing to bear in mind is that 99% of this will just
evaporate if we move to BDW-GC for 2.0.x; so - assuming we do end up
doing that - it makes sense to take a slightly more pragmatic approach
than normal for 1.8.x.

> This made using valgrind impossible, and that's why I created
> the custom patch -- it made a point of ignoring this one
> reversed-order, while checking for badness in everything else.

Thanks.  I understand this much better now!  On the other hand, after
the async_mutex patch, my helgrind output [1] is only reporting a
couple of problems now, so it looks like helgrind-cleanliness might be
achievable.

[1] I am only running a basic startup test, though: "valgrind
--tool=helgrind guile -q <<EOF".  Were you running something a lot
more complex than that?

Regards,
        Neil