Re: Locks and threads

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Locks and threads
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 13:00:40 -0500

On Feb 12, 2009, at 07:55, Greg Troxel wrote:
 Does that sound sensible; have I missed anything?

Also run tests on other than Linux, with as many different OS threading
implementations as possible.  For all systems, set the threading
libraries to the most restrictive settings, specifically aborting on any
behavior the standard says is undefined.

Yeah, definitely NetBSD is a good one for this.

If the define-race program gets added as a check that make check runs,
my autobuild machine will run it daily.

I am not familiar with helgrind; not sure if it's useful to run that on
other platforms once it's ok on one, or what platforms it runs on.

It's part of the valgrind suite, which currently only runs on Linux, though there is porting work in progress. The helgrind tool checks for possible synchronization issues.

As helgrind and NetBSD's pthread checking code work by instrumenting the executable and watching progress, I'd suggest also trying out static analysis tools if anyone has them handy. I see guile is already listed with Coverity's open-source scanner project; who's reviewing that data, if anyone?

Ken