Re: Cross-compiling Guile 2.0

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Cross-compiling Guile 2.0
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 01:04:46 +0100

On Sun 06 Mar 2011 23:12, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> In principle, how should Guile 2.0 be cross-compiled?  I'm thinking
>> mostly of the part of the build that compiles all the installed modules.
>
> Guile 2.0 can only be cross-compiled when the endianness and word size
> of the host and target match (because the bytecode generation cannot be
> parameterized by these.)

You know, I think it's actually just endianness right now; I don't see
where word size comes into it, except for the cookie.

Anyway, in the future when we do AOT compilation, this question will be
more serious.  (I would like to do AOT stuff this year.)  So, following
the autoconf manual ("Specifying Target Triplets"), we would have build
== host, but target == the arm triple; so we would need
`target-endianness' (and possibly `target-word-size') in the compiler.

Where do you think we should put these, given that you don't want them
in (rnrs bytevectors)?  :-)

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/