Re: Cross-compiling Guile 2.0

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Cross-compiling Guile 2.0
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 22:31:20 +0100

Hi!

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun 20 Mar 2011 14:50, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

[...]

>> However, I don’t think defining ‘%target-type’ would make sense
>> since:
>>
>>   1. Of the GNU triplet, only the $target_arch matters for bytecode;
>>
>>   2. You can really choose at run-time what target you want to build
>>      for, by just setting the endianness fluid.

What I meant to say here, is that via a couple of knobs akin to
‘current-target-endianness’, you could actually cross-build for any
target.

This is different from Binutils/GCC: a cross-GCC can only cross-build
for the target that was specified when that cross-GCC was built.
Conversely, a single Guile instance could compile code for any target.

Thus ‘%target-type’ would be inappropriate IMO because the target could
be chosen at run-time and it could be anything.

Does that make sense?

Besides, the UI could be made familiar.  For instance
‘guile-tools compile --target=TRIPLET’ would be fine with me.

> Can I convince you otherwise?  Right now it's endianness, but I would
> like to hack an ARM native compiler sometime soonish,

Ooh, cool!  :-)

>> Now, if we want to produce something comparable to cross-GCC &
>> cross-Binutils[*], we could install, say, arm-linux-gnueabi-guile-tools
>
> Yes, that sounds good, though I would be happier if we did this simply
> with --program-prefix and --target.

The prefix is added automatically for cross-Binutils and cross-GCC,
hence this example.

Thanks,
Ludo’.