Re: Do you recognize these modules?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Do you recognize these modules?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 14:59:43 +0200

Noah Lavine <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
>> The short answer is that the fork (from 2001 or so) was a reaction
>> to losing repo write privs.  Now that i have regained them, i am
>> interested in merging back the relevant bits, w/ copyright notice
>> modified to the proper FSF standards.  Details up to you...
>
> That sounds great to me!
>
>> I see from another post you have decided to rewrite, due to my
>> delayed response.  Sorry about that.  I anticipate my ability to
>> keep up in the foreseeable future to be likewise limited, so if
>> you're still interested, please let me know what i must do to get
>> these bits in-tree and useful to you (and others) as a basis for
>> further maintenance (kind of a one-shot mass-transfer).
>
> Luckily, I haven't actually started the rewrite, because I also have
> limited time to work on this. So I'm very glad to hear that you're
> interested in transfering them. If you are the only author of the
> pieces, then I think the transfer is simple - you put the FSF
> copyright notice at the top, and you're done.

Uh no.  You can't just assign copyright to somebody without asking them,
much like you can't just assign parentship to somebody without asking
them.

Since Thien-Thi Nguyen assigned copyright to GOOPS and general changes
to future changes to GUILE to the FSF in 2000 already, it is more or
less a matter of him checking in the changes or otherwise contributing
them in a manner making clear that the contribution is intentional.
Matching copyright headers are obviously a good indicator for that.

--
David Kastrup