Re: Initial GDA support available [was: New g-wrap supported in guile-gt

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Initial GDA support available [was: New g-wrap supported in guile-gtk--rotty-0.1]
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 10:16:52 +0200

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Andreas Rottmann wrote:

> > The guile-gobject matching ths g-wrap is accessible via (assuming the
> > above register-archive action is already taken):
> >
> > $ tla get address@hidden/guile-gtk--rotty--0.1 guile-gtk--rotty

I just installed tla, we'll see about syncing up today...

> For further motivating people to have a look at this ;-), I checked in
> initial support for GDA (see http://www.gnomedb.org). I'll announce
> this this on the appropriate lists once I have examples and test cases
> ready and cover at least the central portions of the API (ATM,
> GdaValue is missing for instance).

Nice!

An update from the other Andy:

I just became aware of address@hidden (not sure about
the host on that one..). I joined up. They're talking about packaging a
separate set of GNOME-blessed stable bindings for the 2.6 series. Of
course we can't make that, but it's something to think about for 2.8.

In other news, guile-gnome is now a GNU project, with me as the
maintainer. I've been busy the last couple of weeks (cooking
thanksgiving for 25, finishing marking my learners' exams), but I'm free
now to hack with a seriousness. I'll see about getting everything set up
this week: mailing lists, CVS (although we could use something else -- speak now
if you care), and the web page.

In other^2 news, I wrapped the file selection better, fixed some
module-related bugs with the guile-gtk native tree model, and fixed some
crashes relating to boxed scm values. This is in CVS head (sorry, no TLA
now).

In other^3 news, I've written a texinfo parser for scheme. I can then
take the structured text ("stext") and convert it to nodes, render it to
gtk text buffers, plain text, and soon to HTML. In this way you can
write docs for your app and have them viewed in a nice help browser
while your app runs, with a tree on the left and a nice buffer on the
right (see http://ambient.2y.net/soundscrape/shots/01-dec-2003.png for a
screenie). This is available in soundscrape cvs, under the GPL
(http://ambient.2y.net/soundscrape/ for details).

So, that's the news from Namibia. Now if we could just get Rob to be
unslow!

Regards,

wingo.