Re: Initial GDA support available

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: Initial GDA support available
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 12:34:17 +0100

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
>
>> > The guile-gobject matching ths g-wrap is accessible via (assuming the
>> > above register-archive action is already taken):
>> >
>> > $ tla get address@hidden/guile-gtk--rotty--0.1 guile-gtk--rotty
>
> I just installed tla, we'll see about syncing up today...

Cool!

>> For further motivating people to have a look at this ;-), I checked in
>> initial support for GDA (see http://www.gnomedb.org). I'll announce
>> this this on the appropriate lists once I have examples and test cases
>> ready and cover at least the central portions of the API (ATM,
>> GdaValue is missing for instance).

I'm not sure if I will support libgda 1.0.x, since 1.1 has GTypes for
GdaCommand and GdaValue, wich will make it easier to wrap.

> An update from the other Andy:
>
> I just became aware of address@hidden (not sure about
> the host on that one..). I joined up. They're talking about packaging a
> separate set of GNOME-blessed stable bindings for the 2.6 series. Of
> course we can't make that, but it's something to think about for 2.8.

I also joined this ML.

> In other news, guile-gnome is now a GNU project, with me as the
> maintainer. I've been busy the last couple of weeks (cooking
> thanksgiving for 25, finishing marking my learners' exams), but I'm
> free now to hack with a seriousness. I'll see about getting
> everything set up this week: mailing lists, CVS (although we could
> use something else -- speak now if you care), and the web page.

I'd really like to use arch, maybe synced with a CVS repository like I
do now (using CVS HEAD as a snapshot of current development, kind of
like daily tarballs), while the real development (esp. branching,
merging) done with arch.

> In other^2 news, I wrapped the file selection better, fixed some
> module-related bugs with the guile-gtk native tree model, and fixed some
> crashes relating to boxed scm values.

> This is in CVS head (sorry, no TLA now).

Doesn't matter, syncing is quite easy.

> In other^3 news, I've written a texinfo parser for scheme. I can then
> take the structured text ("stext") and convert it to nodes, render it to
> gtk text buffers, plain text, and soon to HTML. In this way you can
> write docs for your app and have them viewed in a nice help browser
> while your app runs, with a tree on the left and a nice buffer on the
> right (see http://ambient.2y.net/soundscrape/shots/01-dec-2003.png for a
> screenie). This is available in soundscrape cvs, under the GPL
> (http://ambient.2y.net/soundscrape/ for details).

Hmm, maybe we'll get an Emacs clone using guile and GTK+ sometime ;-)

Regards, Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden
http://www.8ung.at/rotty | GnuPG Key: http://www.8ung.at/rotty/gpg.asc

This reality is really just a fucked-up dream -- Papa Roach