Re: g-wrap? libffi?

From: Andreas Rottmann
Subject: Re: g-wrap? libffi?
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 15:06:18 +0200

Steve Tell <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
>
>> Steve Tell <address@hidden> writes:
>> > Where can I find g-wrap 1.9.1?
>
>> Have a look at http://www.nongnu.org/g-wrap/. I still have to fix the
>> guile-gnome homepage.
>

>> > within a gcc distribution.  Is there really no way to get libffi (and
>> > therefore build g-wrap) without downloading a whole gcc distribution?
>> >
>> Well, libffi is available for Debian (package libffi2-dev).
>
> It seems that libffi2-dev for debian is built out of the gcc sources,
> which I was hoping to avoid downloading.
>
> Extensive googling pointed out:
>  - libffi developers are considering doing releases apart from gcc again
>  - some other projects that depend on libffi distribute their own tarballs
>       already (example: PyObjC).  The Ctypes project is considering it.
>
> Might I suggest that until official standalone libffi tarballs are
> available,  any released g-wrap include a copy of libffi or distribute a
> suitable libffi-tarball alongside g-wrap-*.gz?

Yeah, I'm considering including a copy of libffi.

> A requirement to download gcc sources and patch the libffi subdirectory
> to build by itself before building g-wrap is a bit onerous.

Indeed. Just out of curiosity -- what platform do you work on? It
seems it's neither Debian nor one of the RPM-based distros...

> I found libffi-src-20030921.tar.gz
> at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=14534
> and g-wrap-1.9.1 seems to build OK with that.
> Any reason to expect that it might actually work?

As you already noticed, it seems to work :-)

> Anyway, thanks for responding to my whining, Andreas.

I very much appreciate your feedback.

Andy
--
Andreas Rottmann         | address@hidden      | address@hidden | address@hidden

To iterate is human; to recurse, divine.