Re: All merged up, web site updated

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: All merged up, web site updated
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 19:44:28 +0200

On Thu, 2004-11-11 at 20:24 +0100, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> I still have something sitting.  The iochannel_add_watch, and (now
> rewritten using wrapper, motion already added) gdk-event addition.
>
> Are these OK to commit?

Oh, sure. You already did, but it's definitely OK.

Maybe these can serve as some brief guile-gnome hacking principles:

1) Don't make things too complicated on the scheme side.
   E.g. you shouldn't have to declare types, the arguments should be
   accepted liberally, etc.

2) (gnome gobject [...]) is tricky. I'd like to review any patches to
   glib/gnome/gobject/*.

3) If it makes sense, go ahead and return multiple values.

4) Don't hesitate to wrap a C struct with scheme vectors or conses.
   - Do hesitate to create an opaque data type.
   - Do provide getters and a make-foo procedure.
     - I'm a bit guilty here ;)
   - See gtk/gnome/gtk/gdk-spec.scm, gdk-support.[ch] for an example

5) Otherwise, hack away :-)

Oh, and

6) I'm erratic with communication; go ahead and commit if you think
   it's right.

Happy hacking,
--
Andy Wingo <address@hidden>