Re: Tidier widget trees

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Tidier widget trees
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 20:15:09 +0000

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Neil,
>
> On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 23:07 +0000, Neil Jerram wrote:
>> The point of this email is that I was wondering if other guile-gnome
>> users had similar thoughts, and/or if others have already built up a
>> similar macro / pseudo-language for specifying a widget tree.
>
> I thought about this a little bit a long time ago:
>
>   http://wingolog.org/archives/2004/08/29/xaml-schmaml

Thanks, that's interesting.  It also led me on to finding and
understanding XUL + Javascript, which I thought was pretty cool.

I guess the Scheme equivalent of this would be XUL (but in SXML
syntax) + Scheme code for the callbacks, and that would then be
getting quite close to what I have been evolving.

My conclusion for now is that I need more experience writing
guile-gnome apps, to eventually work out which representation is the
best.

(I also wonder whether there's any connection here with all Julian
Graham's projects: SDOM, SCSS and libRUIN.)

Regards,
     Neil