Re: guile-gtk version 2.0

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: guile-gtk version 2.0
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 11:29:30 +1100

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Have you tried the guile-gnome bindings?

I did, in Feb 05, if my file dates are to be believed.  I think I had
some problems, I remember being frustrated by gtk-input-add, but I
forget the final straw, it might have been some segvs.  Of course all
able-bodied programmers are duty-bound to hunt segvs wherever they
lie, but I wanted to work on my program instead.  This was when the
sources were on arch too, which I couldn't work :(.

I think what you've got with ffi calls and on-demand bindings (if that
got done) is the way forward.  Glue code like the guile-gtk script
gives would be much too big if it wrapped all of the thousands of gtk
and gnome funcs.

I expect I'll make the switch at some stage.  What I did to bring up
guile-gtk was more work than I bargained for, but you know how it is,
you get half way through and it's either throw it away or do the rest.
It learned me about gtk at least :).  I'm still more interested in my
program than the bindings, so I won't be attempting any systematic gtk
2 coverage.  I probably won't even attempt bits like GtkTreeView so
long as the bugs in GtkTree and GtkClist don't bite too hard.