Re: guile-gnome0 - unexplained GTK crashes since +- 10 days

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: guile-gnome0 - unexplained GTK crashes since +- 10 days
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 11:38:32 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 20:21 +1000, John Steele Scott wrote:
> Have you installed guile-1.8 recently? When I did that on my Ubuntu
> system, guile-gnome broke. I can't remember if this was the error though.
>
> The fix was to edit /usr/bin/guile-gnome-0 and replace the two instances
> of "exec guile" with "exec guile-1.6".

You can of course install guile-gnome from the latest tarball, 2.5.90 --
that supports 1.8. But that requires a newer g-wrap, which I don't
recommend at the moment because it makes guile-gnome have a longer
startup time. I'm working on a fix.

Alternately you might be able to update-alternatives to choose guile 1.6
in preference to 1.8, which might update the /usr/bin/guile binary; or
change your environment so that "exec guile" picks up 1.6.

Thinking out loud a bit more, I'm not sure exactly what to do in the
presence of multiple guiles. I don't think a guile-gnome compiled
against 1.6 will work against 1.8 because it links to the older library.
So if it is the case that guile-gnome will only work against the
MAJOR.MINOR that it was compiled against, then perhaps guile-gnome-0
should exec guile-MAJOR.MINOR unconditionally.

(Sorry I have a backlog on guile things -- will be working on this on
Friday...)

Regards,

Andy.
--