updating to gnome 2.16 libraries

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: updating to gnome 2.16 libraries
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 22:18:06 +0200

Hi all,

Just wanted to drop a note that I'm in the process of updating
guile-gnome-platform to cover the Gnome Developer Platform at version
2.16. This is Etch's version, afaict. In any case, I have committed and
pushed updated GLib, ATK, and Pango wrappers.

I decided to include the g_unichar_* and g_utf8_* functions, given that
guile doesn't provide much to deal with utf8 yet. It's likely that they
will be removed when guile gets these functions; given that both
libraries are licensed under the LGPL, some cross-pollination might be
possible. Dunno, it's a bit of an experiment.

(As a side note, I don't know what guile is going to do; apparently it's
a considerable amount of effort keeping up with the Unicode standard,
and there's no reason to load two copies of the unicode table into
memory in one process; perhaps guile can come up with some kind of
plugin system to provide info on unicode code points that could use GLib
as a backend. Or just depend on GLib, which wouldn't be that bad.)

Also, I wanted to note that apparently the launchpad.net bzr mirrors
aren't updating; I've filed a "question" there
(https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/6528), but no
response yet. Point being, pull from the canonical repositories.

And the real point of this mail: testing is useful! Keep pulling from
bzr, and file bugs at bugzilla.gnome.org. And if you're doing something
interesting, write about it in the wiki. I'm binding cairo now, will let
yall know when there's something to play around with.

Parenthetical cheer,

Andy.
--
http://wingolog.org/