Re: welcome! :)

From: Patrick Bernaud
Subject: Re: welcome! :)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:10:17 +0200

Hi Andy,

Andy Wingo writes:
 > I just added you to the guile-gnome project. Feel free to commit any
 > obvious fixes, so long as they respect the API-stability guarantees that
 > we have.

I have now pushed a few simple changes, mostly from the BT, as a
test. Let me know if I did anything wrong.

 > [...]
 > Guile-GNOME is due for a release soon. I guess we should release a
 > g-wrap that works with 1.9.x, and then guile-gnome-platform (a 2.16.x
 > release). Andreas or I should do the g-wrap release, and then you or I
 > can do the Guile-GNOME one.

I totally agree: let's get a new 2.16 release supporting Guile 1.9
with fixes for building against current GTK/GNOME. Then we can start
updating to more recent GNOME version.

Regarding Guile-GNOME, apart from fixing bugs from the BT, I want to
fix the examples (work in progress) before the release.

I would add that it would be nice to also have a bugfix release
of guile-cairo at the same time.

 > [...]
 > New stuff is also good. The new hotness is GNOME 3. That comes with
 > gobject-introspection, which claims to support full annotation of what
 > types and functions are in libraries. It seems that
 > gobject-introspection is what we should do in the future -- a gnome-3
 > future -- but I think it's silly to change API just because the binding
 > generator changed. If we switch to gobject-introspection, we should
 > maintain a mapping from existing (gnome-2) api to what the gnome-3 api
 > generator would have given, and try to provide compatible API.

It may be possible to transition to introspection first by using the
GIR XML format: similarly to how the '.defs' are processed, the '.gir'
files could be used to generate the C wrapper files.

 > Andreas has "sbank", which is portable R6RS scheme to read the
 > introspection metadata and make bindings. That's interesting, but I
 > don't want to use it directly for gnome-3 stuff; our GOOPS integration
 > is too good to throw away. I like the approach Zeeshan Ali took with
 > guile-gir (http://gitorious.org/guile-gir) to use (gnome gobject)
 > together with the GLib-provided introspection library, but it also would
 > need significant work to be part of a (gnome-3) world.

I am aware of guile-gir since you mentionned it in a previous
message. I will take a look at sbank.

Regards,

Patrick