guix-devel

Re: Talk for the GHM

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Talk for the GHM
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 14:29:16 +0200

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> skribis:

> So here is my suggestion for the GHM:

Looks great to me!  (And fewer buzzwords than mine.  ;-))

> GNU Guix: Package without a scheme!
>
> One of the seducing features of the GNU Guix distribution is that the

I try to call it either the “GNU distribution” or the “GNU system”.

> package management system as well as the package descriptions themselves
> are written in Guile, the GNU implementation of the Scheme language. But

“one of GNU’s implementations of”, or “GNU’s core implementation of”,
just not to offend our MIT/Kawa/SCM friends.

> what if you do not know Scheme? Then you can still contribute by packaging
> your favourite GNU and other free software, and maybe learn a bit of

“free software packages”?

> beautiful functional programming en passant.
>
> This talk gives an overview of what is already packaged in GNU Guix,
> demonstrates the creation of a new package and asks the audience to come up
> with schemes of what to package for the next releases.
>

> I could give a talk of my own (two talks will give more weight to Guix!),
> but will probably not need 45 minutes; rather 30.
>
> Then I think we should have a tutorial session, where every GHM participant
> packages their favourite piece of software ;-)

Yes, that’d be great!  An install party coupled with a hack fest.  :-)

Ludo’.