guix-devel

Re: Coordinating package meta-data translation

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Coordinating package meta-data translation
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 00:35:38 +0200

Saluton Benno,

Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> skribis:

> On 2014-06-14 22:57, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> Here it is:
>>
>> http://www.fdn.fr/~lcourtes/software/guix/guix-0.6.90.tar.gz
>
> Okay.  Looks good.  On second thought, it would probably be better to
> filter out the obsolete messages for each domain.  In both po/guix
> and po/packages you could run this:
>
> for file in *.po;
>   do msgattrib --no-obsolete $file >pof;
>   mv pof $file;
> done

Done.

> Also, in the po/*/Makevars files you may want to add --no-wrap to
> the XGETTEXT_OPTIONS.  It makes the POT files look better.  And
> then add MSGMERGE_OPTIONS = --no-wrap too, because all the PO files
> on the TP are msgmerged with that option and if you don't it will
> create a lot of unneeded wrapping and unwrapping in the commits of
> the PO files.

Makes sense, done.

> As far as I can tell the guix-packages.pot file now contains only
> descriptions of GNU packages,

No, it also contains non-GNU packages (I initially populated POTFILES
with just some packages, and then stopped when I learned the www team
had started doing the same thing in parallel.)

> so you would want that POT file to be translated by the web
> translators, no?  It should not be registered at the TP, right?

Well, I need to think more about a solution to this problem.  Adding a
3rd text domain is OKish, but not satisfying; having to separate GNU
packages from non-GNU packages in .scm files is inconvenient at best.

> By the way, I saw the term "narinfo" somewhere, and then had to dig
> through the source a bit to learn that "nar" stands for Nix archive.
> A translator comment might be useful there.

Indeed.  It turns out that term shouldn’t even leak to the user, so I’ve
changed it.

That said, there may be other places were a translator comment would help.

Thanks!

Ludo’.