guix-devel

Re: Emacs interface for Guix

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Emacs interface for Guix
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 16:08:40 +0200

Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

> Yes, that's what concerned me since the very beginning – unique entities
> should have unique identifiers, i.e. ideally there should be an
> easy-to-get ID for every package.  But as I'm using a non-unique
> ‘name-version’ spec to "identify" a package, information about installed
> outputs is displayed for every matching package.

OK.  At the Scheme level, package objects are unique of course; but at
the UI level, we can’t guarantee that there’s a single package for each
name/version pair (and this is not even desirable, I think.)

> You may look at:
>
>   M-x guix-search-by-name guile-2.0.11
>
> to see how it looks like in a “list” and especially “info” buffers
> currently (I have updated the repo).

Looks good to me!

> Also I made some changes for augmenting paths, so please report if
> something does not work.

I’m still seeing a lot of these at the top of *Guix REPL*:

;;; note: source file /data/src/guix.el/guix-helper.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/home/ludo/.cache/guile/ccache/2.0-LE-8-2.0/data/src/guix.el/guix-helper.scm.go
;;; note: auto-compilation is enabled, set GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
;;;       or pass the --no-auto-compile argument to disable.
;;; compiling /data/src/guix.el/guix-helper.scm

Thanks,
Ludo’.