guix-devel

Re: Advice needed on gcc error

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Advice needed on gcc error
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 10:21:12 +0100

Saul Hazledine <address@hidden> skribis:

> I have a running installation of guix/gnu os and wanted to install vim:
>   guix package -i vim
>
> I am not using hydra and so the package manager went ahead and tried
> to download and compile the internet (which is what I wanted because I
> am experimenting with the OS). I hit what could be a compilation error
> in gcc 4.8.3:
>    Makefile:3584: recipe for target 's-attrtab' failed

Could you post, say, the last 200 lines of its build log?  One way to
find it is to run:

  ls -lrt /var/log/guix/drvs/*/*gcc-4.8.3*

and then open the most recent one.

> This led me to the reason I am contacting the list. A newly installed
> guix machine is pretty basic and does not seem to have any way I
> report a bug from the build other than typing it myself - am I missing
> a more convenient method.

There’s no convenient method to report build issues, but I agree it
would be very useful.  Something like a --report option to ‘guix build’
that would automatically email address@hidden with the relevant info
upon failure.

Thanks,
Ludo’.