guix-devel

Re: [ART] Updated GRUB background with GuixSD logo

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: [ART] Updated GRUB background with GuixSD logo
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 17:41:44 -0500

Luis Felipe López Acevedo <address@hidden> writes:

> El sáb, 14-02-2015 a las 19:18 -0500, Mark H Weaver escribió:
>> The drop shadow that you added here defeats the illusion of the
>> 3-dimensional twist that makes earlier renditions of this logo so
>> compelling.  It ends up looking flat.  Any ideas how this could be
>> improved?
>
> Thanks for pointing that out, Mark. I agree with you. I spent too much
> time in front of that logo, so it is hard for me to notice those details
> sometimes.

[...]

> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/C-grub-retouched-twist.png
>
> I think it looks better. But here is a D variant which includes the
> retouched twist of C and adds a drop shadow:
>
> http://sirgazil.bitbucket.org/static/temp/img/guixsd/D-grub-retouched-drop-shadow.png
>
> This shadow is more subtle than the one used in the current GRUB image,
> but it may still flatten the logo because it is bevelled.
>
> I like C and D, but would go with C to avoid the problem you mention.
>
> What do you think?

Thank you, both C and D are a great improvement.  I would be happy with
either of them, but here's what I would suggest to combine the best of
both: starting with C, add a different kind of shadow from what you did
in D.

In D, it looks as though you added a low-opacity black layer on top,
which results in highlights on the top edge and a shadow on the bottom.
Instead, I would try adding a larger, feathered (i.e. fuzzy-edged)
shadow in the *bottom* layer, closer to what you did in your recently
proposed orange-on-black SLiM theme in the right half of this image:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-02/pngMImBoTqdbR.png
  (from https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-02/msg00395.html)

though maybe not quite so large a shadow as that one.  So, there would
be no highlights on top, but rather just a fuzzy shadow underneath.
What do you think?  Would you like to try it?

Thanks again for your beautiful work :)

     Mark