guix-devel

GSoC: Porting Guix to Hurd week 1 report

From: Manolis Ragkousis
Subject: GSoC: Porting Guix to Hurd week 1 report
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 22:12:32 +0300

Hello Guix, Hello Hurd

I think it's time for my first report so everyone is up to date .
I will describe what happened in chronological order:

1) Pushed acl patch to wip-hurd so coreutils can be built for
target=i686-pc-gnu.
2) Simplified our glibc-hurd and hurd minimal package, thanks to
the latest release of gnumach, mig and hurd.
3) Started building one by one the binaries need for the bootstrap-
binaries.
4) Modified our package definitions for sed, patch and tar so PATH_MAX
will be passed to configure.
5) When trying to patch tar I discovered that anything before the
patch package definition could not be built. Source patching in
‘patch-and-repack’ would use not the tar from ‘%final-inputs’,
but the tar built with ‘%final-inputs’. Ludovic fixed it.
6) The problem with tar was that D_INO_IN_DIRENT is not present in hurd. It is
fixed in upstream tar repo in e9ddc08da0982f36581ae5a8c7763453ff41cfe8. Just
aplied that patch.
7) All the binaries needed for bootstrapping can be built with our i686-pc-gnu
toolchain.
8) Starting working on getting the bootstrap-tarballs built.
9) Added a glibc-for-target macro so make-bootstrap.scm will choose
the right glibc
depending on target.

I think that's it for now. If you have any questions please feel free to ask :-)

Manolis