guix-devel

RE: How to handle required plugins and dbus services for GNOME Programs?

From: Cook, Malcolm
Subject: RE: How to handle required plugins and dbus services for GNOME Programs?
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 18:16:40 +0000

Hi,

What fortune...

> IMO, given that every GLib based program needs it, the right thing to do is to
> make it an implicit input of 'glib-or-gtk-build-system'.
>
> In a similar way, every GLib based program/library makes use of sound
> themes. For this to work it needs access to 'libcanberra'. Thus, for sound
> themes to work, 'libcanberra' should also be an implicit input of the build
> system.
>
> You may be using a desktop where no sound theme is used/configured and
> therefore not be seeing any message about this. But, if you use a desktop
> with a sound theme, e.g. GNOME, you will see the following
> messages:
> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
> This is taken care by setting
>
> GTK_PATH=/gnu/store/...-libcanberra-0.30/lib/gtk-3.0/modules

... I was at this very moment poised to ask about this very issue here, for, in
the case of a fresh guix 0.8.3 I was witnessing:

After `guix package --install emacs`, I find:

        $ emacs
        (process:3941): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
                Using the fallback 'C' locale.
        Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
        Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"

The installed emacs v 24.5 does still start, and looks pretty snappy (despite,
alas, being build without svg support).

But, let me try and take your advice:

        $ guix package -i libcanberra
        $ export GTK_PATH=/gnu/store/*-libcanberra*/lib/gtk-3.0/modules
        $ echo $GTK_PATH

/gnu/store/x06vfgf5fn09yr9crqlg22rwc301jnhp-libcanberra-0.30/lib/gtk-3.0/modules
        $ ls $GTK_PATH
        libcanberra-gtk3-module.la  libcanberra-gtk3-module.so
libcanberra-gtk-module.so

But, upon starting emacs again, alas, I still get the same Gtk warnings and
messages.

Am I not following your advice, or otherwise mis-understanding it?

Thanks,

Malcolm