guix-devel

Re: How to handle required plugins and dbus services for GNOME Programs?

From: Federico Beffa
Subject: Re: How to handle required plugins and dbus services for GNOME Programs?
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 21:33:16 +0200

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 8:16 PM, Cook, Malcolm <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What fortune...
>
>> IMO, given that every GLib based program needs it, the right thing to do is
>> make it an implicit input of 'glib-or-gtk-build-system'.
>>
>> In a similar way, every GLib based program/library makes use of sound
>> themes. For this to work it needs access to 'libcanberra'. Thus, for sound
>> themes to work, 'libcanberra' should also be an implicit input of the build
>> system.
>>
>> You may be using a desktop where no sound theme is used/configured and
>> therefore not be seeing any message about this. But, if you use a desktop
>> with a sound theme, e.g. GNOME, you will see the following
>> messages:
>> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
>> This is taken care by setting
>>
>> GTK_PATH=/gnu/store/...-libcanberra-0.30/lib/gtk-3.0/modules
>>

> ... I was at this very moment poised to ask about this very issue here, for,
> in the case of a fresh guix 0.8.3 I was witnessing:
>
> After `guix package --install emacs`, I find:
>
>         $ emacs
>         (process:3941): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
>                 Using the fallback 'C' locale.
>         Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
>         Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
>
> The installed emacs v 24.5 does still start, and looks pretty snappy
> (despite, alas, being build without svg support).
>
> But, let me try and take your advice:
>
>         $ guix package -i libcanberra
>         $ export GTK_PATH=/gnu/store/*-libcanberra*/lib/gtk-3.0/modules
>         $ echo $GTK_PATH
>
> /gnu/store/x06vfgf5fn09yr9crqlg22rwc301jnhp-libcanberra-0.30/lib/gtk-3.0/modules
>         $ ls $GTK_PATH
>         libcanberra-gtk3-module.la  libcanberra-gtk3-module.so
> libcanberra-gtk-module.so
>
> But, upon starting emacs again, alas, I still get the same Gtk warnings and
> messages.
>
> Am I not following your advice, or otherwise mis-understanding it?

I had a typo, sorry: the path should stop at one level above the modules:

$GTK_PATH=/gnu/store/nlm81g8hgsw7d01la14zjycjcgamn4qp-libcanberra-0.30/lib/gtk-3.0
emacs

GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings
will not be saved or shared with other applications.

The remaining above message is because of the missing 'dconf' (I guess
we should add it). I'm not getting the message about "pk-gtk-module".
I'm not sure what it refers to.

HTH,
Fede