guix-devel

Re: "M-x guix" - magit-like interface for guix commands

From: Alex Kost
Subject: Re: "M-x guix" - magit-like interface for guix commands
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 23:08:13 +0300

Ludovic Courtès (2015-08-28 12:37 +0300) wrote:

> Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès (2015-08-26 00:14 +0300) wrote:
>>
>>> Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

>>> BTW I’ve quickly looked at the commits and don’t have any comments.
>>> Feel free to merge to master when you deem appropriate.
>>
>> Ouch, sounds like a carte-blanche.
>
> Of course, you’re effectively the maintainer of that part.

OK, but I also made some changes outside "emacs" dir:

- I exported stuff from (guix scripts lint) and (guix scripts graph):
  so that when a user choose "--checkers" option for 'guix lint' or
  "--type" option for 'guix graph', they can be completed while prompted
  in minibuffer.

- I moved emacs info node from "Package Management" to "Top" because it
  is not just about package management anymore (as there are
  "guix-prettify" and shell completions, and now there is also popup
  interface for all guix commands).

- And finally I moved a part of code from 'guix-main' to a new
  'run-guix' procedure (in (guix ui) module).

As for the emacs part: many long options don't have short analogs, so I
chose keys (for popup windows) that seem appropriate for me, but they
may not be good defaults for others.  The same thing with guix commands.
For example, I chose "p" for "package", "P" for "pull" and "u" for
"publish"; or "s" for "system" and "z" for "size", etc.  But maybe it is
OK for now, and may be fixed later, if people will complain about
strange popup keys, WDYT?

Also perhaps there are too many auxiliary commits (add this, add that),
not sure if it's acceptable.

>> IMO this feature is ready, at least I've been successfully using it for
>> a couple of weeks.  But I think that we should have a new Magit2 package
>> at first.  So I'm going to add this feature to master after pushing the
>> following patches if you don't mind:
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-08/msg00571.html
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-08/msg00383.html
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-08/msg00433.html
>
> So I guess you can now go ahead.

Yes, I think so.  I have rebased "wip-emacs-popup-ui" branch on master
and made some final tweaks.  So this is the last warning! :-) If you
still don't have comments/notes, I'm ready to push these commits.

--
Alex