guix-devel

Re: Hack the (init) system!

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: Hack the (init) system!
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 12:30:43 -0500

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I wonder if it's about time that Guile get something along the lines of
>> a well-supported, general event loop system?
>
> Sure.  My take on this is that we want FRP, as implemented in Sly, or a
> synchronous reactive API like HIPHOP¹.  I wouldn’t want Guile to invite
> users to use a JavaScriptish asynchronous framework with callbacks and
> IoC all over the place.
>
> Then of course that’s a bit of work, including work to integrate that
> with ports.
>
> Ludo’.
>
> ¹ http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/lehre/SS13/Sem-Prog/material/HIPHOP.pdf

HIPHOP looks interesting!  And Sly is of course great, I'd love to see
more Guile programs exploring that design.  I haven't thought about what
a web application that was Sly-like would look like.

Just a side note: I don't know much about what IoC (presumably Inversion
of Control) translates to in practice, though I can say that asyncio
avoids callback hell pretty well through clever use of coroutines... it
reduces some of thes stresses that node.js brings.  I wonder if clever
use of delimited continuations can allow us to also make things nice.

 - Chris