guix-devel

Re: Locale

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Locale
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 13:55:38 +0200

Hi Andreas,

> although I am afraid to raise allergic reactions, I must say that locales
> do not seem to work any more on my guix on debian setting since the last
> upgrade... Although I chose a utf8 locale, I am not seeing special characters
> in mutt (taken from guix).
>
> Hopefully it is just a simple matter of setting things up.
> Currently I have this:
>    export
> LOCPATH=$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale:$HOME/.guix-profile/share/locale
> as was suggested at some point in time by the search path directives.
> Do I need to add "2.22/" to them?

according to the manual section “Locales” Guix’s libc respects
GUIX_LOCPATH.

    libc suffixes each entry of @code{GUIX_LOCPATH} with @code{/X.Y}, where
    @code{X.Y} is the libc version---e.g., @code{2.22}.  This means that,
    should your Guix profile contain a mixture of programs linked against
    different libc version, each libc version will only try to load locale
    data in the right format.

When using Guix on top of another distribution you should only set
GUIX_LOCPATH to make sure that only Guix programmes use the locales in
your profile.  All other applications (those of the host system) will
continue to use the host system locales.

Hope this helps!

~~ Ricardo