guix-devel

Re: Plan for 0.9.0

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
Subject: Re: Plan for 0.9.0
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 17:31:56 +0200

"Thompson, David" <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]  I'm fine with 'guix gc' working as-is.  The re-downloading lots
> of substitutes issue is not an issue about the CLI, but rather about
> not making store items that you want to hang around GC roots.

Hmm, good point.  Rather than making it harder to do what 'guix gc'
does, we should probably just make it do the right thing. :-)

(By making more things become GC roots that is.)

I take back my previous +1 in favor of the 'guix environment' related
solution you mentioned, and maybe others.

I seem to remember 'guix gc' even removing things that are actually
necessary for building a profile, which is a ubiquitous operation of
course.  Does anyone know if that's been fixed on the meanwhile, or
would it be fixed via the 'guix environment' fix?

Taylan