guix-devel

Internship

From: Roel Janssen
Subject: Internship
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 15:42:59 +0100

Dear list,

As I'm new to this list, let me introduce myself shortly. My name is
Roel, and I live in the Netherlands. Projects I (have) work(ed) on:
 * GNU InklingReader: https://savannah.gnu.org/projects/inklingreader/
 * clmedview: https://github.com/roelj/clmedview/ (sorry, it's Github;
 This was an internship project as well).

I've been following GNU Guix for about two years now (admittedly on and
off) and I used it in combination with Debian.

For a bachelor's degree in software engineering, I have to do an
internship. Naturally, I would like to contribute to a GNU project, and
my particular interest goes to GNU Guile and/or GNU Guix, because
I think Scheme is an elegant language, GNU Guix is great for a user's
freedom as well as a beautiful approach to package management, and I've
had a very pleasant experience interacting with the people working on
this project (thank you so much).

The internship should be in the form of a project that can be done in
about 800 hours (spread over 20 weeks) of work. For this I need:
 * a mentor who has at least two hours a week (~ 40 hours in total) time
 for guiding me;
   - This should take place from February 15, 2016 to July 17, 2016
 * the assignment must cover three cycles of the software engineering
 lifecycle (roughly speaking: [Maintain/analyse/advise/design/implement]
 a software system).
 * A subproject that I can work on by myself (with a little guidance
 from a mentor)

If anyone could help me, I can provide the GNU Guix project with:
 * 800 hours of work on the project (minus some overhead of writing and
 doing presentations at my university);
 * Some exposure of this project to people at my university;
 * After completion I would like to continue contributing to the
 project.
 * Free beers (or non-alcoholic drinks) at FOSDEM, in case anyone of
 this project will be there.

So, does anyone see the possibility to be a mentor for my internship?
If so, what areas in the project could I contribute to? (I need some
guidance formulating the exact assignment (before it can be approved by
my university).)

Thank you for reading my long e-mail.

Kind regards,
Roel Janssen