guix-devel

Re: Update mafft to 7.245.

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Update mafft to 7.245.
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 14:06:18 +0100

Ben Woodcroft <address@hidden> writes:

> Also had to fix the inputs.

In this case, please also mention these input changes in the commit
message.

>           (delete 'configure))))
> -    (inputs
> -     `(("perl" ,perl)))
> +    (propagated-inputs
> +     `(("perl" ,perl)
> +       ("gawk" ,gawk)
> +       ("coreutils" ,coreutils)
> +       ("grep" ,grep)))

Is it really necessary to propagate these inputs?  Or could mafft just
reference them by their full path?  It’s very inelegant to propagate
packages.

In the case of coreutils I’m not sure if this is needed at all.  Instead
of propagating these inputs I’d suggest adding a phase that patches the
sources with ‘(substitute* ...)’ such that any call to awk, grep, perl,
or the coreutils is prefixed with the full store path.

Then you don’t need to propagate inputs and users won’t run into
conflicts.

~~ Ricardo