guix-devel

Re: Update mafft to 7.245.

From: Ben Woodcroft
Subject: Re: Update mafft to 7.245.
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 08:22:35 +1000

Two reviews in record time, nice.

On 10/11/15 23:12, Efraim Flashner wrote:
On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 22:18:10 +1000
Ben Woodcroft <address@hidden> wrote:

Also had to fix the inputs. Hard not to notice these things in the
environment container - worked well thanks.
Do they need to be propagated inputs? Did you try them as native-inputs?
Often that's enough to take care of it.
The main program 'mafft' is actually a reasonably long shell script, which itself calls awk, grep, perl, etc. collectively many times (>100 I would guess). I think it is intended to be run where these programs are available. I could do as Ricardo suggests and run substitute* but this seems a bit error-prone and not very future-proof to me, especially when the shell script is difficult to exhaustively test. WDYT?

Note that mafft is probably not going to remain as a leaf because a number of bioinformatic tools not yet packaged rely on it.
Also, instead of:
Fix inputs.
the commit message is more along the lines of:
   [inputs]: Move inputs to propagated-inputs and add missing dependencies.
but I normally have to check against older commit messages to see what others
are doing and I try to copy that.
Hopefully the attached is a better attempt? I also added another small improvement, not distributing the manpage of a program that is excluded from distribution.

Thanks.