guix-devel

Re: GuixSD minimal/customized install

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GuixSD minimal/customized install
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 00:08:35 +0100

Daniel Pimentel <address@hidden> skribis:

> I'd like a GuixSD "minimal" install and customized as:
> 1. Xorg minimal (there isn't xorg-minimal for example on repository);

I think our ‘xorg-server’ is as minimal as can be.  What do you have in
mind?

> 2. Only my video drive (xf86-video-intel for example);

Yes, that’s a problem: currently (gnu system xorg) has a list of
hardcoded video drivers, which is obviously not optimal.

I think someone (宋文武, was it you?) was looking into making it more
flexible, but I’m not sure what happened.

> 3. Remove other virtual-console (tty3, tty4, tty5 and tty6, because I
> only use tty1/tty2 and tty7 (X11));

This should be relatively easy.  Either do not use %base-services at all
and explicitly list which services you want, taking %base-services in
(gnu services base) as an example.

Or you could construct your service list by removing things from
%base-services (untested):

  (fold (lambda (service result)
          (if (and (eq? (service-kind service) mingetty-service-type)
                   (string>? (mingetty-configuration-tty
                               (service-parameters service))
                             "tty2"))
              result
              (cons service result)))
        '()
        %base-services)

> 4. Not install ratpoison or windowmaker (I remove it in my config.scm
> file but the system allway install it. In the momment I used
> Enlightenment and future Gnome-shell in soon when released it).

I don’t think Ratpoison is automatically installed.  However WindowMaker
is, because of the #:fallback-session in ‘xinitrc’, in (gnu system
xorg); 宋文武, i think we could remove it now, no?

Thanks,
Ludo’.