guix-devel

Re: Multiple versions

From: Dmitry Bogatov
Subject: Re: Multiple versions
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2015 12:20:27 +0300

> > In my attempt to understand Guix, get used to it and use
> > it's advantages, I got following considerations that I would like
> > to discuss with more experienced users:
> >
> >   * Guix provides first-class support for multiple versions of packages.
> >     By first class I mean, that you don't need to do anything special
> >     to get this support, unlike Gentoo, which for example, supports
> >     multiple versions of Python and Ruby, but not Guile or GHC.
> >
> >     But reading 'gnu/packages/haskell.scm' I see same, single-versioned
> >     packaging in style of Debian. Why? If we would provide package for
> >     every version of library 'foo' and every version of 'ghc', Guix
> >     would replace `haskell-stack' tool, and, eventually became The Ring
> >     to rule stack,virtualenv,bundler,...
> >
> >     Or am I missing the point, and libraries are packaged only as long
> >     they are needed for some program?
> You can mix versions. Maybe this helps
>
>   https://github.com/pjotrp/guix-notes/blob/master/REPRODUCIBLE.org

Seems I failed to make myself clear. Let me try again.

Currently, I am at master branch. I want install parallel-20151122.
But it is gone since 0877e. I propose to keep *all* versions,
but just 'parallel' refer to latest.

In case of haskell/python/ruby libraries, I propose keep all versions
multiplied by every version of compiler/interpreter.

--
Accept: text/plain, text/x-diff