guix-devel

Re: Composing service definitions (and maybe fmt)

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Composing service definitions (and maybe fmt)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 14:14:02 +0100

Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:

> (I've also thought that some sort of string reader similar to skribe's
> [foo ,(bar)] string-quasiquoting may make things easier.  Might even be
> complimentary...)

I like this idea.  It seems unrealistic to me to have configuration file
writers for each of the many ideosyncatic configuration file formats.  I
also don’t enjoy having to concatenate strings to generate configuration
files and I think that it would be useful if we had string-quasiquoting.

But I think we need some example cases first.  My experiences is
coloured by concatenating strings for udev rules.  That’s not nice, but
I also would not want to have to learn a new Schemey way of expressing
these rules — especially when I just want to copy them with minimal
changes from documentation and don’t want to have to understand them
first.

~~ Ricardo