guix-devel

Re: Qt-5 in core-updates

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: Qt-5 in core-updates
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 10:23:10 +0800

Andreas Enge <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks, 宋文武, for this thorough research!
>
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 09:57:13AM +0800, 宋文武 wrote:
>>  - Patch our python-2.7.x like Ubuntu does.
>>
>> <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archive/primary/+files/python2.7_2.7.10-4ubuntu1.diff.gz>
>
> To me, this sounds like the cleanest solution, but probably not in this core-
> updates run, which has taken quite some time already.
OK, and in fact I don't know whether the patch will fix this issue or
not.  Waiting help from python folks :-)

>>  - Patch the build phases of qt and webkitgtk to pre-generate *.pyc
>>    files before the actually building.
>
> This I would not know how to do, and we would need to do it for webkitgtk
> also (of which we have three variants! so an independent question: can this
> maybe be reduced? it seems to depend on gnucash).
Well, WebKitGTK+ 2.4.9 seem unmaintained and have some security issues:

<https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/address@hidden/message/S3VHBCPMPVZ3NBKR7FQZQE6HBUHVEZ3D/>
But currently, we have gnucash, guitarix, and some gnome applications
using it.

>>  - Restart the builds on hydra, hope it will pass.
>
> This one I already tried, and I also built qt-5 once on my machine.
> Áll three builds failed consistently. So something has apparently changed
> on core-updates compared to master that triggers this failure.
>
>>    Or disable parallel build completely.
>
> That looks like the best short-term solution. I will try it locally and
> push it to core-updates if it works, with "FIXME" remarks for after this
> core-updates cycle.
Yes, thanks for handling this.