guix-devel

proposal for more options in gnu/services/networking.scm for blocklist

From: Nils Gillmann
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 22:09:48 +0100

Some weeks when I first talked about GuixSD with someone who shares my
dislike for facebook, they came up with this idea "Why stop at facebook
with the block options?"

Giving users who want to (and this is what it should be marked as and
documented as) the choice to exclude most of the big players in
advertising by /etc/hosts blocking.
I know this is not very effective and it does not fix the overall
situation plus might introduces some problems if we get torbrowser in
for example, but just for the people who want to block ads this way it
could be a useful feature.
I am thinking of sending in several patches for services following up to
the facebook block. These services will be big advertising players only
and not be focused on specific things.
Eventually it could all be renamed to a different name set like
ads-$name-host-aliases to make the functionallity more clear.
The service facebook-host-aliases does block all of facebook, my
intention is to just block ad distribution networks.
I can't test it all, but I try to rule out problematic, site breaking
hosts in time, which is why this service set will be described with
something like "this might break some websites, if you encounter
problems please file a bug" (or similar).
Giving people who want these kinds of blocks the freedom to choose
this.

A first version for google I just came up with starts like the attached
code.

What do you think?

PS: For consistency with code and mailinglist I will use my legal name
now (etc, long reasoning and positions and pro/contra could follow but I
won't do this here)

(define %ads-google-host-aliases
  ;; This is a list of known google services excluding google.com
  "\
# Block Google Services IPv4.
127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 ssl.google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.l.google.com
127.0.0.1 google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1 googletagservices.com
127.0.0.1 video-stats.video.google.com
127.0.0.1 googleads.g.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1 adservices.google.com
127.0.0.1 affiliate.googleusercontent.com
127.0.0.1 buttons.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 feedads.googleadservices.com
127.0.0.1 m4.afs.googleadservices.com
127.0.0.1 mimageads*.googleadservices.com
127.0.0.1 mpartner.googleadservices.com
127.0.0.1 pagead*.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 tcp.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 www.googleadservices.com

# Block Google Services IPv6
fe80::1%lo0 www.google-analytics.com
fe80::1%lo0 ssl.google-analytics.com
fe80::1%lo0 www.google-analytics.l.google.com
fe80::1%lo0 google-analytics.com
fe80::1%lo0 googletagservices.com
fe80::1%lo0 video-stats.video.google.com
fe80::1%lo0 googleads.g.doubleclick.net
fe80::1%lo0 adservices.google.com
fe80::1%lo0affiliate.googleusercontent.com
fe80::1%lo0 buttons.googlesyndication.com
fe80::1%lo0 feedads.googleadservices.com
fe80::1%lo0 m4.afs.googleadservices.com
fe80::1%lo0 mimageads*.googleadservices.com
fe80::1%lo0 mpartner.googleadservices.com
fe80::1%lo0 pagead*.googlesyndication.com
fe80::1%lo0 tcp.googlesyndication.com
fe80::1%lo0 www.googleadservices.com\n")

--
ng/ni*