guix-devel

Re: OpenJDK support

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: OpenJDK support
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 15:10:18 +0100

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:

> To support the JVM we'll need to add the openjdk.
>
> Having a look at it I think it is doable. Only problem is that the
> java compiler needs to be bootstrapped with itself.
>
> In Nix they create a binary blob to bootstrap:
>
>     let
>       # !!! These should be on nixos.org
>       src = if glibc.system == "x86_64-linux" then
>         fetchurl {
>           url =
> http://tarballs.nixos.org/openjdk-bootstrap-x86_64-linux-2012-08-2
>     4.tar.xz;
>           sha256 = "0gla9dxrfq2w1hvgsnn8jg8a60k27im6z43a6iidi0qmwa0wah32";
>         }
>       else if glibc.system == "i686-linux" then
>         fetchurl {
>           url =
> http://tarballs.nixos.org/openjdk-bootstrap-i686-linux-2012-08-24.
>     tar.xz;
>           sha256 = "184wq212bycwbbq4ix8cc6jwjxkrqw9b01zb86q95kqpa8zy5206";
>         }
>       else throw "No bootstrap for system";
>     in
>
> How do we go about this one?

We already have a JDK provided by the “jdk” output of the “icedtea”
packages.  “IcedTea” is the name of the project that provides a heavily
patched framework allowing us to build the (patched) OpenJDK sources
with free software only.  Building the vanilla OpenJDK appparently isn’t
that easy – and not really necessary since we have the IcedTea-ified
version.

We are bootstrapping with GCJ.

~~ Ricardo