guix-devel

sqlite update causes failure of python-sqlalchemy

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: sqlite update causes failure of python-sqlalchemy
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 17:46:41 +0100

Patch b24765139c8940541b23f84592d3580d53f71d71

 (define-public sqlite
   (package
    (name "sqlite")
-   (version "3.8.11.1")
+   (version "3.10.0")
    (source (origin

is the cause of python(2|3)-sqlalchemy breaking. I confirmed that by
regressing to the original sqlite package. Since the python binding is
part of the interpreter, I suspect there may be more python modules
vulnerable. I updated python-sqlalchemy to latest and that makes no
difference. Its tests fail on sqlite 3.10.0 and pass on 3.8.11.1.

What do we do? Revert on this sqlite patch for the new guix release?
Or add a second sqlite package and have that as a python dependency?

Or live with the fact that python-sqlalchemy is broken for now. Maybe
it is possible to override the sqlite bindings to an earlier version,
but even if that worked I would think it tricky.

Personally I think we should revert. But then so many packages depend
on sqlite. Tricky.

Pj.