guix-devel

Re: Guix on Debian (was: GSoC ideas)

From: Diane Trout
Subject: Re: Guix on Debian (was: GSoC ideas)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:36:52 -0800

> Hosting a .deb file on our own server that users could download and
> install with dpkg would be perfect for us.

Actually the best thing to do would be to put the debs into a signed
repository, for example https://mirrorer.alioth.debian.org/ is a utility that
lets you create your own apt-gettable repositories.

The guix on debian instructions would then be:

apt-key add (signing key)
add "deb http://<server>/debian guix main" to
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/guix.list
apt-get update
apt-get install guix

this allows apt-get update to get new versions.

The nix hydra paper implies that it can build packages and installers for non-
nix systems. I assume the guix version can as well?

> Thanks for the hard work, Diane!

You're welcome, I'm glad this may be useful to others. :)

Diane