guix-devel

Re: Guix on Debian (was: GSoC ideas)

From: Diane Trout
Subject: Re: Guix on Debian (was: GSoC ideas)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 16:32:30 -0800

> Great work Diane!
>
> Are those bootstrapping binaries really necessary for getting Guix
> going?  I guess for some reason I thought if you did the whole
> configure/make/etc dance it wouldn't be but maybe I'm wrong.
>
> Maybe this is a good step towards getting a Guix .deb we self-host on
> the Guix website?

The bootstrap binaries are used to compute the hashes for Guix's
initial packages which then influence all of the downstream hashes.

I know that shipping sourceless binaries is against Debian policy. I do
wonder if there's a way to produce the same bootstrap binaries from
Debian components.

Also one of your other messages suggested the /gnu directory is also
against Debian policy.

If there's a way resolve those things, there's probably a much better
chance to get it into Debian.

But other than that I think my postrm script is incomplete and
certainly needs some more testing but this can certainly turn into
.debs hosted by guix.

Diane