guix-devel

Re: Releasing 0.9.1

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Releasing 0.9.1
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 18:51:44 +0100

So, what’s up with this release?

address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

>   • Have a GNOME meta-package, or a ‘%gnome-packages’ variable, or
>     something like that.  We should provide an example of how to get a
>     GNOME setup.  I think several of you have that already.  宋文武?

This is mostly done.  Should be provide an additional config for GNOME
in gnu/system/examples?

Besides, there’s the GNOME-Shell bug at <http://bugs.gnu.org/22666> that
would be nice to address.

Also, NetworkManager apparently doesn’t work.  Could someone
investigate?

>   • Proper ‘package-with-python2’ (see <http://bugs.gnu.org/22437>.)
>     It just needs more testing and adjusting existing packages (fewer
>     lines of code, yay!).

Done.

>   • There are several bugs reports open regarding container-related test
>     failures.  I think we should make sure they are addressed and close
>     them.  David?

Hello!  :-)

>   • The nscd issue in the installer image: <http://bugs.gnu.org/22209>.
>     I’ll try to reproduce it in a VM and debug from there.

Presumably fixed.

>   • Incorporate root-encryption fixes (<http://bugs.gnu.org/21843>) and
>     documentation by Petter.  Petter and Albin, among others, are
>     already using an encrypted-root setup AIUI, so it’s “just a matter”
>     of consolidating it.  See also
>     <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2016-01/msg00118.html>.

Oops, I dropped the ball.  Maybe that’ll have to wait again.

>   • The address@hidden syntax patch.  Mathieu?

Almost done.

>   • Possibly the GitHub updater, which seemed pretty much ready.  Ben?

Done or almost.

I realized that before the release, it would be nice to have
infrastructure in place that would allow us to have a mirror of
hydra.gnu.org (if there’s a download peak after the release, I’m afraid
hydra.gnu.org wouldn’t be able to keep up.)  One idea is to hack ‘guix
publish’ to make it easy to set up a mirror.  We’ll see.

Ludo’.