guix-devel

Re: Releasing 0.9.1

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Releasing 0.9.1
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 14:27:44 -0500

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 06:51:44PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> So, what’s up with this release?
>
> address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:
>
> >   • Have a GNOME meta-package, or a ‘%gnome-packages’ variable, or
> >     something like that.  We should provide an example of how to get a
> >     GNOME setup.  I think several of you have that already.  宋文武?
>
> This is mostly done.  Should be provide an additional config for GNOME
> in gnu/system/examples?
>
> Besides, there’s the GNOME-Shell bug at <http://bugs.gnu.org/22666> that
> would be nice to address.
>
> Also, NetworkManager apparently doesn’t work.  Could someone
> investigate?
>
> >   • Proper ‘package-with-python2’ (see <http://bugs.gnu.org/22437>.)
> >     It just needs more testing and adjusting existing packages (fewer
> >     lines of code, yay!).
>
> Done.
>
> >   • There are several bugs reports open regarding container-related test
> >     failures.  I think we should make sure they are addressed and close
> >     them.  David?
>
> Hello!  :-)
>
> >   • The nscd issue in the installer image: <http://bugs.gnu.org/22209>.
> >     I’ll try to reproduce it in a VM and debug from there.
>
> Presumably fixed.
>
> >   • Incorporate root-encryption fixes (<http://bugs.gnu.org/21843>) and
> >     documentation by Petter.  Petter and Albin, among others, are
> >     already using an encrypted-root setup AIUI, so it’s “just a matter”
> >     of consolidating it.  See also
> >     <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2016-01/msg00118.html>.
>
> Oops, I dropped the ball.  Maybe that’ll have to wait again.
>
> >   • The address@hidden syntax patch.  Mathieu?
>
> Almost done.
>
> >   • Possibly the GitHub updater, which seemed pretty much ready.  Ben?
>
> Done or almost.
>
> I realized that before the release, it would be nice to have
> infrastructure in place that would allow us to have a mirror of
> hydra.gnu.org (if there’s a download peak after the release, I’m afraid
> hydra.gnu.org wouldn’t be able to keep up.)  One idea is to hack ‘guix
> publish’ to make it easy to set up a mirror.  We’ll see.

When Florian was publishing substitutes from fps.io, there was a problem
with `guix publish` in practice.

I set my daemon to use '--substitute-urls=http://fps.io,
http://hydra.gnu.org', or something like that (I don't remember the
syntax). If a desired substitute was not available on fps.io,
hydra.gnu.org would not be queried.

Since Florian was not building continuously with Hydra, his server
became less useful as his set of binaries diverged from those available
on hydra.gnu.org.

Was this ever fixed?