guix-devel

Installing headers to a separate output?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Installing headers to a separate output?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 21:32:22 +0100

Hi Guix,

should we install headers to separate outputs as we do it in some cases
for really large documentation?  It seems wrong to me to download
substitutes for libraries when at build time only certain headers are
needed.

Other distributions have separate “*-devel” or “*-dev” packages (and I’m
ambivalent about this) — would it be a bad idea if we provided “devel”
or “dev” *outputs* so that users had more control over what ends up in
their store?

I’m not writing this because I’m annoyed by the current behaviour — I’m
just curious.

~~ Ricardo