guix-devel

Re: [RFCv4] install: Create a GC root during install-grub.

From: Jookia
Subject: Re: [RFCv4] install: Create a GC root during install-grub.
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 03:23:27 +1100

On Fri, Mar 11, 2016 at 03:48:38PM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Jookia <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > While previously creating a GC root for GRUB's resources was the caller's
> > responsibility, it's much less repetitive to put it in install-grub now that
> > it's wrapped by error handling. This also means we can replace the
> > install-grub*
> > function with a small definition inside perform-action named 'install-boot'.
> >
> > * gnu/build/install.scm (install-grub): Make a GC root for grub.cfg on
> > success.
> >   (register-grub.cfg-root): Remove function, install-grub does this now.
> > * gnu/system/vm.scm (qemu-image): Don't explicitly make a GC root.
> > * guix/scripts/system.scm (install-grub*): Move useful parts to
> > perform-action.
> >   (perform-action): Use inline definition install-boot to install GRUB.
>
> Is it different from v1 to v3?
>
> I’m asking because I feel it might be difficult for me to find out what
> the right version is when I start reviewing these.  :-)
>
> Ludo’.

Yes, apologies since I'm not exactly sure how to add text that would be taken
out in final patches. v2 fixes an issue with reconfigure breaking since it
assumed there was always a target (not true), I can't remember what v3 fixed, v4
fixed v2's fix since I used the wrong variable name. Perhaps I should write
diffs to patches assuming all the patches are in a single directory?

Jookia.